Yes, you can change the access code on a keypad door lock. Some models may even allow you to change the access code while the door is locked. If not, there are instructions on the manufacturer’s website or manual that will show you how to change it. Doors that have keypads can be locked or unlocked by entering a 4-8 digit PIN (personal identification number). The PIN is usually set at the factory, but you can change it to any number that you want.
The one word answer to this question is YES. Virtually all Keypad Door Locks such as Schlage, Kwikset and Yale are configured to allow its users to create and change/delete user codes using the Keypad or the Mobile application of that lock. But in order to do that you need to first enter the programming code to gain the administrative access.
Change the Access Code on a Schlage Keypad Door Lock
If you want to change the access code on a Schlage keypad door lock, go through these steps:
- Unplug the power supply from the back of the lock box by pulling off the plug. If your lock does not have an external power supply, remove all four AA batteries from their compartments in the electronics compartment (the battery compartment).
- Remove any screws that hold down your old access code panel (if there is one) and lift off the panel by pulling straight out from its base. The new access code panel should come with two small screws for securing it in place over top of your existing electronics compartment; install them if necessary using a screwdriver and replace your old access code panel with your new one.
- Place your finger over each button on your new access code panel and press each button repeatedly until all buttons are lit up green and flashing quickly (this step may take several minutes).
- Wait until all buttons stop flashing and then remove.
Change Access Code on Kwikset Smart Lock
Kwikset SmartCode Deadbolt can be remotely programmed to keep track of who is coming and going. To change the access code, follow these steps:
- Press the “Lock” button on the top of the lock to unlock it. If you have already set up an access code, you will see a 4-digit number in green text appear on the keypad. If not, press the “Lock” button again and hold it down until you see a 4-digit number in green text appear on the keypad. This is your default access code and will be used if you do not change it before programming another one.
- Press and hold down any button on the keypad until all four digits light up simultaneously (about 5 seconds). Release all buttons at once when all four digits are lit up as indicated by a green light beside each digit; otherwise, you will only enter three digits and not all four.
- Enter your new 4-digit access code using any button on the keypad (it doesn’t matter which one), then press “Enter.” The new code should appear immediately in green text below each digit as you enter them into the lock.
Change Access Codes on Yale Smart Lock
Yale is a popular lock brand, but like all smart locks, it’s not perfect. While the app can be used to change the access codes on Yale smart locks, sometimes it’s easier to do it manually. Here’s how to change your Yale smart lock access code using the physical keypad on the lock itself:
- Open up your Yale smart lock manual and look for a section on changing the access codes.
- Turn the dials on your smart lock until “Set Code” appears on the display screen.
- Press “Set Code” and enter your current code (if you already have one set up) or leave it blank if you don’t have one yet. If you need help remembering this code, write it down in a safe place where no one else can see it!
- Enter your new four-digit code twice and press “Confirm.”
Reasons to Change Codes on my Keypad Locks
1. To Prevent Unauthorized Access
If you have a code on your keypad lock, it is possible that you might forget the code. If someone knows the code, they can easily enter your home or office and steal your valuables. In order to prevent this from happening, you should change the codes of your keypad locks frequently. It will help in making sure that no one but you can enter your house or office without permission.
2. To Prevent Tampering
A burglar may try to tamper with your home’s security system by using tools like heat guns and screwdrivers to open up the back of the lock or even completely replace it with one that he has access to or can replicate easily. Changing the code regularly prevents this from occurring because it makes tampering more difficult and costlier for a criminal than it would be otherwise.
3. Increased Security
Another reason for changing codes frequently is that it makes it easier for other people to figure out what your code is. If someone knows how long it takes for a person to open their door by entering their code every time, then they can figure out what the code is in just a few tries. By changing your code regularly, it makes things harder for people trying to break into your home or office building.
4. Keeps Track of Visitors
Another reason is that you can use it to keep track of who comes in and out of your house. You can also see who has come home and when they have left by looking at the history on your app or website. This way, if something happens at home, you can check the history and find out who was here when it happened.
If your lock is enabled with smart lock’s configuration, you can add or delete user codes using the smart lock’s app. The procedure of changing the user codes may differ depending upon the lock’s brand and model. Make sure to use the user manual for detailed understanding and guidelines.