Schlage locks are some of the most popular smart locks on the market. They’re also one of the most secure, with a wide range of features and customization options. But what happens when your Schlage lock stops working? You might be using wrong battery type or size, the compartment is not cleaned enough or maybe you need to perform a factory reset. Here’s how to deal with these issues and more. There are a few reasons why your Schlage lock may not work after changing the battery. Below are some of the most common causes and how to fix them.
- How to Restore a Schlage Lock that is Not Working after Battery Replacement?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’S)
- Final Thoughts
How to Restore a Schlage Lock that is Not Working after Battery Replacement?
There are a few reasons why your Schlage lock may not work after changing the battery. Below are some of the most common causes and how to fix them.
1. Make sure that Correct Battery Type Used
The most common issue is that the wrong type of battery was used. If you use a lithium battery, it won’t work with your lock. You need to replace it with an alkaline battery instead. Make sure that the batteries are installed correctly and that they are not damaged.
2. Ensure that you have the correct battery size
The first thing that you should do when replacing the batteries in your Schlage lock is make sure that you have the correct size battery for your specific model number. There are different types of batteries available but not all of them will work in all models so make sure that you purchase the right one before starting this project.
3. Check that the Compartment is cleaned
If you replaced the batteries and your Schlage lock still does not work, make sure that the battery compartment is clean and free of corrosion or other blockages. If there is dirt in the compartment, clean it out with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol. Also make sure that your keypad is clean and dry before putting in new batteries. If there are any moisture or dust particles on your keypad, it will affect how well it works when you try to use it later on down the road.
If the problem persists after cleaning the compartment, it’s possible that one of the wires inside has come loose or disconnected from its contact point inside the lock mechanism. In this case, you’ll need to get a replacement part from Schlage customer service or a local locksmith who can repair your lock for you.
4. Make sure to check the Battery Terminals
The first thing you should do if your Schlage deadbolt isn’t working properly is check the battery terminals. If they’re corroded or dirty, this can lead to problems with electrical contact and prevent your lock from activating properly. You need to make sure that there is no corrosion or dirt buildup where the battery connects with each other — otherwise this could lead to intermittent operation or simply not working at all!
5. Attempt a factory reset to solve the issue
If you are having trouble with your Schlage keypad, it’s possible that a simple reset will fix the problem. To perform a factory reset:
- Remove the two screws at both ends of your Schlage deadbolt with a screwdriver.
- Push down on the top of the keypad and remove it from the back plate. You will see two wires connected to the circuit board inside. Unplug these two wires from their sockets on either side of the circuit board. You will also find some small black plastic clips holding them in place; use tweezers to gently pry these away from their sockets, then unplug them from their sockets.
- Now push down on each corner of your deadbolt until all four buttons click into place simultaneously (this should take about 10 seconds). You will hear a click when this happens. Your Schlage deadbolt should now be reset and ready for use again!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’S)
1. Schlage deadbolt not working after battery change?
If your deadbolt is not working or locking, it could be due to a problem with the batteries. Make sure that you are using the correct type of batteries and that they are installed properly.
2. Schlage deadbolt keeps locking?
If your deadbolt keeps locking itself, there may be a problem with your lock itself. Check the batteries and make sure that they are installed correctly and fresh ones have been used. Try cleaning the exterior of the deadbolt with a damp cloth to see if that helps with any sticking issues. You may also want to remove any dirt or debris from around the door frame where it meets with the strike plate on your door. This will help prevent any further sticking problems from occurring in the future.
So there can be countless reasons due to which lock stops working even after battery change. We have listed all common issues related to Schlage Lock and how to fix them. Don’t worry and give this article a nice and quick read. Hope this helps you!